The Pistis Sophia - Page 14

Jesus leadeth Sophia to a less confined region, but without the commandment of the First Mystery.Jesus continued again in the discourse and said unto his disciples: "It came to pass then, when Pistis Sophia had uttered the seventh repentance in the chaos, that the commandment through the First Mystery had not come to me |83. to save her and lead her up out of the chaos. Nevertheless of myself out of compassion without commandment I led her into a somewhat spacious region in the chaos. And when the material emanations of Self-willed had noticed that she had been led into a somewhat spacious region in the chaos, they ceased a little to oppress her, for they thought that she would be led up out of the chaos altogether. When this then took place, Pistis Sophia did not know that I was her helper; nor did she know me at all, but she continued and persisted withal singing praises to the Light of the Treasury, which she had seen aforetime and on which she had had faith, and she thought that it [sc. the Light] also was her helper and it was the same to which she had sung praises, thinking it was the Light in truth. But as indeed she had had faith in the Light which belongeth to the Treasury in truth, therefore will she be led up out

of the chaos and her repentance will be accepted from her. But the commandment of the First Mystery was not yet accomplished to accept her repentance from her. But hearken now in order that I may tell you all things which befell Pistis Sophia.

The emanations of Self-willed oppress her again."It came to pass, when I had led her unto a somewhat spacious region in the chaos, that the emanations of Self-willed ceased entirely to oppress her, thinking that she would be led up out of the chaos altogether. It came to pass then, when |84. the emanations of Self-willed had noticed that Pistis Sophia had not been led up out the chaos, that they turned about again all together, oppressing her vehemently. Because of this then she uttered the eighth repentance, because they had not ceased to oppress her, and had turned about to oppress her to the utmost. She uttered this repentance, saying thus:

The eighth repentance of Sophia."'1. On thee, O Light, have I hoped. Leave me not in the chaos; deliver me and save me according to thy gnosis.

"'2. Give heed unto me and save me. Be unto me a saviour, O Light, and save me and lead me unto thy light.

"'3. For thou art my saviour and wilt lead me unto thee. And because of the mystery of thy name lead me and give me thy mystery.

"'4. And thou wilt save me from this lion-faced power, which they have laid as a snare for me, for thou art my saviour.

"'5. And in thy hands will I lay the purification of my light; thou hast saved me, O Light, according to thy gnosis.

"'6. Thou art become wroth with them who

keep watch over me and will not be able to lay hold of me utterly. But I have had faith in the Light.

"'7. I will rejoice and will sing praises that thou hast had mercy upon me and hast heeded and saved me from the oppression in which I was. And thou wilt set free my power out of the chaos.

"'8. And thou hast not left me in the hand of the lion-faced power; but thou hast led me into a region which is not oppressed.'"

The emanations of Self-willed cease for a time to oppress Sophia.When then Jesus had said this unto his disciples, he answered again and said unto them: "It came to pass then, when the lion-faced power had noticed that Pistis Sophia had not been led up altogether out of the chaos, |85. that it came again with all the other material emanations of Self-willed, and they oppressed Pistis Sophia again. It came to pass then, when they oppressed her, that she cried out in the same repentance, saying:

She continueth her repentance."'9. Have mercy upon me, O Light, for they have oppressed me again. Because of thy commandment, the light in me is distracted and my power and my understanding.

"'10. My power hath begun to wane whiles I am in these afflictions, and the number of my time whiles I am in the chaos. My light is diminished, for they have taken away my power from me, and all the powers in me are tossed about.

"'11. I am become powerless in the presence of all the rulers of the æons, who hate me, and in the presence of the four-and-twenty emanations, in whose region I was. And my brother, my

pair, was afraid to help me, because of that in which they have set me.

"'12. And all the rulers of the height have counted me as matter in which is no light. I am become as a material power which hath fallen out of the rulers,

"'13. And all who are in the æons said: She hath become chaos. And thereafter all the pitiless powers encompassed me together and proposed to take away the whole light in me.

"'14. But I have trusted in thee, O Light, and said: Thou art my saviour.

"'15. And my commandment, which thou hast decreed for me, is in thy hands. Save me out of the hands of the emanations of Self-willed, which oppress me and persecute me.

"'16. Send thy light over me, for I am as naught before thee, |86. and save me according to thy compassion.

"'17. Let me not be despised, for I have sung praises unto thee, O Light. Let chaos cover the emanations of Self-willed, let them be led down into the darkness.

"'18. Let the mouth of them be shut up, who would devour me with guile, who say: Let us take the whole light in her,--although I have done them no ill.'"

And when Jesus had spoken this, Matthew came forward and said: "My Lord, thy spirit hath stirred me and thy light hath made me sober to proclaim this eighth repentance of Pistis Sophia. For thy power hath prophesied thereof aforetime through David in the thirtieth Psalm, saying:

Matthew interpreteth the eighth repentance from Psalm xxx."'1. On thee, O Lord, have I hoped. Let

me never be put to shame; save me according to thy righteousness.

"'2. Incline thine ear unto me, save me quickly. Be thou unto me a protecting God and a house of refuge to save me.

"'3. For thou art my support and my refuge; for thy name's sake thou wilt guide me and feed me.

"'4. And thou wilt draw me out of this snare, which they have laid privily for me; for thou art my protection.

"'5. Into thy hands I will render my spirit; thou hast redeemed me, O Lord, God of Truth.

"'6. Thou hast hated them who hold to vain emptiness; but I have trusted.

"'7. And I shall rejoice because of my Lord and make merry over thy grace. For thou hast looked down upon my humbleness and saved my soul out of my necessities.

"'8. And thou hast not shut me up in the hands of my foes; thou hast set my feet on a broad space.

"'9. Be gracious unto me, O Lord, for I am afflicted; my eye is distracted in the wrath and my soul and my body.

"'10. For my years have wasted away in sadness and my life is wasted in sighing. My power is enfeebled in misery and my bones are distracted.

"'11. I am become a mockery for all my foes and my neighbours. |88. I am become a fright for my acquaintances, and they who saw me, are fled away from me.

"'12. I am forgotten in their heart as a corpse, and I have become as a ruined vessel.

"'13. For I have heard the scorn of many who

encompass me round about. Massing themselves together against me, they took counsel to take away my soul from me.

"'14. But I have trusted in thee, O Lord. I said: Thou art my God.

"'15. My lots are in thy hands. Save me from the hand of my foes and free me from my persecutors.

"'16. Reveal thy face over thy slave, and free me according to thy grace, O Lord.

"'17. Let me not be put to shame, for I have cried unto, thee. Let the impious be put to shame and turn towards hell.

"'18. Let the crafty lips be struck dumb, which allege iniquity against the righteous in pride and scorn.'"

Jesus commendeth Matthew and promiseth his disciples that they shall sit on thrones with him.And when Jesus had heard these words, he said: "Finely [said], Matthew. Now, therefore, amēn, I say unto |89. you: When the perfect number is completed and the universe is raised hence, I will take my seat in the Treasury of the Light, and ye yourselves will sit on twelve light-powers, until we have restored all the orders of the twelve saviours to the region of the inheritances of every one of them."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October Bible Verses - 109

Young's Literal Translation: Proverbs Page 12

The Pistis Sophia - Page 22